Is there water everywhere on your floor at the lower levels of your home or down in your basement? Do you find yourself sloshing through puddles to get to where you need to go in your house?
If there’s not another good explanation for all this water, chances are good that you have a slab leak and require slab leak repair in Carrollton, TX.
Many homeowners don’t even know what a slab leak is before they have to deal with one in their homes. These leaks can cause you a lot of problems in your house.
- Your water bill will go up, sometimes drastically.
- All of the excess moisture can be a breeding ground for mold and mildew, both of which can cause health problems, especially for people with allergies and asthma.
- The water can damage your hardwood floors, furniture, carpets, trim, drywall and more.
The best case scenario for a slab leak involves finding the leak as early as possible. This limits the damage to your home and keeps it from becoming a sloshing wet mess.
What is a Slab Leak?
Most of the pipes that bring water to your home are actually embedded in your foundation. This is the cheapest, most effective way to handle all of the plumbing needs in your house. However, if one of these pipes breaks, bursts, or gets corroded, it means a massive leak under your home.
The vast majority of slab leaks occur in older homes with pipes that are made out of older materials or that haven’t been kept up well. These pipes corrode and, eventually, have leaks like tiny pinholes poked in their sides. A lot of these leaks add up and create a big problem!
Older homes can also have foundations that settle. If these move too much or if one part moves without the rest, it can put too much stress on your pipes and cause them to burst. This usually creates a situation where you have a lot of water coming into your house very fast.
How to Know if You Have a Slab Leak in Carrollton, TX
There are several things to watch out for if you think your home may be in danger of a slab leak. Call us as soon as you notice these and we’ll help you get the problem taken care of before it becomes a lot bigger.
- Puddles on the floor. Do you have puddles that appear on your floor suddenly? Most of the time, these will get bigger and bigger but they can also appear, dry up, then come back. They’ll usually be located close to your plumbing, like in kitchens or bathrooms. You may also have puddles that appear outside and never go away.
- Warm floors. Water heats up concrete, so if you notice that your floors are consistently warmer than normal, you may have a slab leak.
- Low water pressure. The lines in your slab bring water to your house from the street. If they aren’t doing that, you’ll have lower water pressure inside.
- High water bills. If your water bill is going up and there’s no other explanation, consider looking into whether or not you have a slab leak.
- Odd sounds. If you can hear water running when there shouldn’t be water running, it very well may be water flowing in your foundation.
- Cracking floors. If your floors are cracking, it’s time to call in a pro. This can be a sign of a significant slab leak that has already done a good bit of damage.
Call us at Cathedral if you notice any of these signs. We’ll test for a slab leak and help you get the water back where it belongs under your home!
Learn more about our other plumbing services
Emergency Plumbing | Drain Cleaning | Sewer Repair | Faucets | Garbage Disposals | Hydro-Jetting
Pipe Repair | Water Heaters | Tankless Water Heaters | Water Treatment | Gas Leaks